Friday, November 20, 2009

Just My Luck.

I remember I was asked this question a few months ago:

"Do you consider yourself lucky?"

~~~

People I've met in the last twenty one years of my existence in this world may call me lucky but I think otherwise. Lucky, for me, is winning the hundred-million peso jackpot in the lottery, or even fifty pesos from the scratch card thingy of the PCSO. Lucky is getting invited by Oprah Winfrey to guest on her show because your underappreciated talent here was broadcasted on Youtube. Lucky is being the 1,364,915th caller on the radio and winning free VIP concert tickets. Lucky is getting to work for Google, Microsoft or Apple and earning a lot more than the average employee. Lucky is being born as a one in a million head conjoined twin, and then getting separated alive. Lucky is not me. Because basically, I don't have anything compared to those.

What I have here are bread boxes and small home appliances that I won from the annual fiesta bingo in our subdivision. My fame would probably be limited to a group picture of more than twenty five people cramped up in a four-column bottom corner of the broadsheet, without my name being mentioned. I only get free passes to concerts when the opening act is most likely someone I'm friends with, or one of my friends knows someone in the production who knows one of the band manager's friends. As for dream jobs, I got rejected to work for one of the biggest publishers in the country because I live far from the office, so I have to settle for other things that's not connected, however you look at it. And for the last twenty one years, I have never been confined in a hospital even if I walk everyday surrounded by pollution and with asthma residing in my system. I know what you're thinking, either I'm pathetic or my life is just plain boring.

But when I come to think of it, my life is on the better side of things. Those bingo consolation prizes I won would become either stuff to use for summer business with my friends or gifts to give away for Christmas. The reason I was on the business section of the leading newspapers is mainly because I am one of the twenty five students all over the country to get in on Amcham Philippines' Business Orientation Program, and bagged second runner-up for the group presentation thing. My first job was definitely a culture shock for me, but hey, how many 21-year-olds do you know work as a buyer, or in Rachel Green's words, "shopping for a living" and then walking away from it to work somewhere else because of passion? And my health is definitely great, according to some nurse who commented that I should be taking double the dose of my medications, which by the way should now be taken for maintenance.

I hear people insist calling me lucky. But really, I am not. I am just like the other normal six billion people breathing out there. I get stranded during tropical storms, I miss public transportations because I can't wake up on time, I burn dinners when I am glued to the tv, I can't find a guy who will be true to his word that I'm his only girl, I lost my phone because I was too drunk to remember the reason, I trip and fall down stairs at times.

But at the end of the day, I am reminded by random people that I am loved, I am showed a lot of things that tell me I did a good job, I am home safe, and just tonight, a stranger gave me his Starbucks sticker for free.


~~~


To which I answered;


"Nope. I am blessed."



Agree much?

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. I actually said the same thing. People always say, "Ang swerte mo naman." No, I was blessed.

    And besides being blessed, you also worked hard for everything. :)

    ReplyDelete